Express Train Collides with Locomotive in Holley, 1926

Vol. 5, No. 1 This photograph, taken September 25, 1926, shows the aftermath of a locomotive collision at Holley. Looking south on South Main Street, the Holley Electric building is pictured on the left. A few individuals are in the vicinity, including a young girl standing between the tall white fence and truck along the left side of the road. Upon closer inspection, a bicycle is lying on the curb near the railroad overpass, possibly left there by the girl. At 3:33pm on September 24, 1926, an express train, Engine 3373, pulling 28 cars and two coaches departed the Fancher

Continue readingExpress Train Collides with Locomotive in Holley, 1926

Apple Shipping at Knowlesville

Vol. 4, No. 40 October is National Apple Month! This photograph, likely taken in the latter quarter of the 19th century, shows the New York Central Railroad Depot located at Knowlesville. This particular image was taken east of the Rt. 31 Bridge that crosses over the railroad tracks; the photographer has pointed his camera to the southeast. A number of horse-drawn wagons are pulling loads of apples to be loaded into refrigerator cars positioned along the tracks. In the earliest years of the county’s history, wheat was the primary product shipped out of the area. The opening of the Erie

Continue readingApple Shipping at Knowlesville

Gandy Dancers Provided Maintenance Services to Local Railroads

Vol. 4, No. 33 This rather interesting photograph shows five men working as part of a section gang along the Rome, Watertown, and Ogdensburg Railroad. It is believed that this particular crossing was located somewhere in the town of Kendall and the photograph was taken September 11, 1897. The men appear to have stopped for dinner (the midday meal) as several metal pails appear on the car. One of the young men appears to be holding his pocket watch as if to show that it is noontime. The Lake Ontario Shore Railroad was chartered in 1858, and like all great

Continue readingGandy Dancers Provided Maintenance Services to Local Railroads

South Clinton Crossing Was Busy Intersection for Agricultural Shipping

Vol. 3, Issue 24 This photograph, taken sometime around 1900, shows the New York Central Railroad crossing at Clinton Street in Albion looking east towards Main Street. The photographer is standing on the platform of the train station on Clinton Street in an attempt to showcase two important businesses in the vicinity. On the right is the business of Morgan & Linson, started in 1887 by Benjamin Franklin Morgan who purchased the operation from Sheldon & Warner. Morgan, a son of William Pitts Morgan and native of Gaines, then brought Lyman Sewall Linson into a partnership in 1890. Linson was

Continue readingSouth Clinton Crossing Was Busy Intersection for Agricultural Shipping

Waterport Trestle Carried Railroad Traffic for Over 100 Years

Volume 2, Issue 11 Constructed in 1876, the Rome, Watertown, and Ogdensburg trestle over Oak Orchard Creek provided a crossing point for the rail system in its earliest years. This particular image shows the first trestle constructed on that site in Waterport using lightweight iron trusses and planks. As the railroad grew, a new bridge was constructed in 1892 to facilitate increased traffic. The RW&O Railroad was first established in 1842 with the purpose of linking Watertown and Rome. As the years progressed, the rail system merged with various lines throughout New York to produce a somewhat successful system of

Continue readingWaterport Trestle Carried Railroad Traffic for Over 100 Years